1. Sam Geli
    10 December 2015 @ 4:26 pm

Kettering Health Network is like most of corporate America, an “old boys club”. In this particular case Sister Terri Day was also the victim of what is a noticeable trend when women who have broken the glass ceiling, get fired in short order, rather quickly. Strategy&, the consulting firm formerly known as Booz & Company, released its 14th annual Chief Executive Study 2015. The details of her parachute will confirm that it has inequity built into it, of course.

The study showed that more women CEOs are outsiders. Companies like KHN can’t find them inside their own organizations, or they may find them but they’re not ready. So they go pick them off another company. In healthcare there are hardly any women CEO’s.

The study found that in eight of the last 10 years, the share of women becoming CEOs has been higher than the share of those leaving the position. Some other studies have shown that women in corporate America get fired twice as often as men. While women made up just 3.6 percent of new CEOs in 2013, the authors have better news for Terry in the future. If she can just “hold on”. They predict in their report that as many as a third of incoming CEOs will be female by the year 2040.

It will be interesting to see, if by then-in 2040, we will have stopped gender discrimination in our ministry.

• Nathan Schilt
      10 December 2015 @ 6:57 pm

I seriously doubt, Sam, that you have any idea what you are talking about. Terri Day has had a fairly long career at top levels of Adventist health care. She went to Kettering from a lofty executive position at Loma Linda. I’m sure if she’s good, she’ll get picked up by another health care organization.

She may have been the victim of political machinations, just as male executives are the victims of political power struggles. I don’t know. But I do know that it is high time for folks to quit whining that every adverse event that happens to someone who belongs to a politically correct identity group evidences bigotry and discrimination.

Of course Kettering can’t respond to speculative broadsides like yours for many reasons. But I am very confident that there are at least two sides to this story. Statistics and studies can say and mean whatever you want them to. There are political identity groups in America that are doing poorly educationally and professionally. Women are not one of them.

2. Sam Geli
    11 December 2015 @ 6:02 am

Nathan Schilt on December 10, 2015 at 6:57 pm said:
    “I seriously doubt, Sam, that you have any idea what you are talking about…if she is good, she will get picked up…”

Check out the unbiased links above, Brother Nathan, and read carefully what I actually wrote in my post. People’s careers matter, they are not widgets.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/…/kettering-health-network-names-new- presiden…
    archives.adventistreview.org/…/34cn-terri-day-named-kettering-health- net…

Terri Day, a veteran Seventh-day Adventist health system administrator, had been serving as president of Kettering Health Network, since November 12, 2012. Her firing while five men are promoted in this “shakeup” is significant. There is a trend when women CEO’s are fired. She was the first woman to serve as president in Kettering’s 48-year history. Previously, Day had served as Kettering Health Network’s executive vice president of operations since November 2010. Prior to that she was vice president of Adventist Health in Roseville, California. She also served as vice president of hospital finance with financial oversight for six Adventist hospitals in central and southern California. Before that she was chief financial officer for Loma Linda University Medical Center.

Why are you so defensive about KHN? Apparently you do know much more than I do about them and their treatment of Terri Day.

I do not know Terri and have no connection to KHN.

3. R.P. McMurphy
    11 December 2015 @ 12:50 pm

Growing up as a SdA PK I saw the good ol’ boy network up close and personal in the “ministry” and the “educational” systems.

Trying to please my Dad to work for the church in some capacity I thought I could work in the right arm system where competence, allegedly, could at least be acknowledged if not appreciated.

I decided to leave SdA healthcare after 6 1/2 years for two reasons.

The CFO told me I could not hire a black for a certain position because the CFO didn’t want any blacks in his area of responsibility.

My direct boss, who reported directly to the CFO, told me that if he liked me I “could go far”.

The CFO and my direct boss were close friends.

The SdA bubble is still full of good ol’ boy hot air regardless of the systems.

• sufferingsunfish
      13 December 2015 @ 7:16 pm

I do not doubt that church or personal politics play too much a part in personnel actions. Let’s not ignore the fact that too many of the executives, male and female, are overpaid in the SDA health system.

4. Jim Hamstra
    12 December 2015 @ 8:12 am

In any corporate environment it is difficult for an “outsider” to break-in at the top levels. Deep knowledge of the corporate culture and stake-holders is a huge advantage for top executives.

Typically an “outsider” is brought in to be an agent of change. Usually he or she fails because it may seem easy to know what you are trying to fix, but very hard to know what you are breaking.

Traditionally the culture at Kettering is ingrown. Many second and third generation employees climbing the ladder. A very tough culture for newcomers to break-in.

5. Jim Hamstra
    12 December 2015 @ 8:27 am

The challenges to “outsiders” entering to levels of organizations, are not unique to SDA institutions or even to non-profits.

In my career in corporate America I have seen many “outsiders” enter executive row in large corporations, by mergers, acquisitions and direct recruiting . Almost always within two or three years that are gone.

The notable exception experience was a merger where the “outsiders” took charge and the “insiders” were quickly sidelined. Within a couple years the “insiders” were gone. And this outcome was predicted to Yours Truly by a former “insider” from company A who was recruited into a very senior position at company B and left within less than a year. A while later when companies A and B announced their merger, this gentleman told me what would happen. And he was right.

• sufferingsunfish
      13 December 2015 @ 6:48 pm

I, too, question whether Geli really knows anything at all about the situation. It seems, whether here or Spectrum, Sam pens rather detailed and sometimes long posts.

I agree with Schilt on this one. “It is fatuous to look at Terri Day as a victim of gender discrimination, just as it would be ridiculous to see Carly Fiorina as such a victim. How do these folks get to the top and stay there so long if sexism keeps them down?”

6. Sam Geli
    14 December 2015 @ 5:35 am

“sufferingsunfish” thank you for illustrating my point.
    Is this short enough for you?

7. Roger Metzger
    15 December 2015 @ 2:09 am

I don’t know any of the people involved in making the decisions mentioned in this article. My wife, a nurse, has never worked in any Adventist hospital.

In non-Adventist hospitals, however, people who are condescending toward their subordinates are seldom “let go”. Perhaps they should be.