24 May 2023 |
Fifty years ago, Merikay Silver sued the Pacific Press Publishing Association over their gender-based wage scale. Although the move was unpopular with Adventist leaders, women who worked for the church secretly cheered her on, and she was a hero in my liberal Adventist home.
However, some 80 years before that, Jenny Ireland, another Adventist woman I admire very much, went into a California courtroom and defended the church. The investigation in 1888 was over the wage scale, particularly the charge that the Press underpaid women.
Was one woman right, and the other wrong? And if so, which one? This presentation will tell the story of the 1888 investigation, and consider how Adventist women, when confronted with unfair systems, decide when to support the church and when to challenge it.
Laura Wibberding is Assistant Professor of Theology, History, and Psych/Social Work at Pacific Union College.
How to join:
One-click link will be posted later.
ATSS starting time depends on where you are. If you’re on the west coast of the United States, it’ll be 10:30 AM. On the east coast, 1:30 PM. Because of time changes in various parts of the world, please double-check the correct time where you live.
The class is intended to last about 2 hours, though the conversation often continues to 4 PM (Eastern time).
About our class:
- The AT Sabbath Seminar is intended to be a courteous forum. We discuss and ask questions politely. We don’t accuse, get angry, put people down, or judge the state of their salvation.
- Stick to the topic in both comments and chat discussion.
- Make your comments and questions short—don’t dominate.
- Keep your microphones muted unless you are called upon to make your comment or ask your question.
- Indicate your interest in speaking by raising your electronic hand—under the “reactions” button.
- Please use your name when you sign in! Not your phone number, not your initials. This will help us differentiate you from unwelcome guests who want to disrupt us. You can set your name after signing on by clicking on the 3 dots next to your picture, which drops down a menu.
We look forward to getting acquainted with you!
- Bryan Ness
- Reinder Bruinsma
- Austin Archer
- Jody Washburn
- Laura Wibberding
To comment or question, click/tap here