13 November 2023 |
The Seventh-day Adventist Church in the South American Division (SAD) has taken a proactive approach towards integrating Artificial Intelligence (AI) into its operations while ensuring ethical considerations are at the forefront, according to a recent article by Adventist Review. Recognizing the potential impact of AI on their extensive network, which includes over 2.5 million members, schools, universities, clinics, hospitals, and social initiatives, the Church’s leadership in South America presented a document titled “Ethical Principles for the Use of Artificial Intelligence by the Seventh-day Adventist Church in the South American Division.”
This document, voted on during the 2023 Annual Council of Adventist leaders in Brasilia, Brazil, was crafted by experts in communication, technology, and compliance. It aims to establish essential ethical principles that align with the Church’s vision regarding AI.
Key issues addressed in the document include:
1. Transparency: Commitment to clear communication about AI’s application, objectives, and impact within the religious context.
2. Justice and Equity: Ensuring AI systems are free from bias, promote equity, and respect human dignity, including accessible and equitable technology use for all.
3. Reliability: Prioritizing precise and reliable AI usage, aligned with Adventist principles and doctrinal integrity.
4. Responsibility: Holding accountability for AI outcomes, mitigating bias, ensuring human oversight in decision-making, and welcoming feedback for improvement.
5. Security and Privacy: Protecting personal data, ensuring informed consent for data use, and implementing robust security measures.
6. Sustainability: Emphasizing environmental responsibility, energy-efficient AI usage, resource waste reduction, and promoting sustainability awareness and collaboration.
The document also highlights the strategic role of human beings in decision-making processes, emphasizing the importance of human oversight in AI applications. It reaffirms the Church’s interest in continuing research on new technologies to enhance the preaching of the gospel.
This move by the Adventist Church in South America reflects a growing awareness and responsibility regarding the ethical use of technology in their operations and outreach. Jorge Rampogna, SAD communication director, underscored the importance of ensuring that AI systems are used in accordance with Biblical principles, reflecting the Church’s commitment to ethical considerations in the realm of rapidly evolving technology.