Parody Ted Wilson Twitter Account Confuses, Entertains
12 November 2022 |
One result of the chaos at social media service Twitter is that a preexisting parody account appears to have emerged as the verified Ted Wilson account.
The parody account Ted Wilson (@PastorWedTilson) on Twitter leads off with the unlikely introduction,
The one & only president of the @adventistchurch. Don’t be deceived by false prophets. I really love beards. Prayerody 🙏
Other tweets that conflict with the oft-expressed conservative opinions of Elder Wilson include:
- Jesus doesn’t care if you’re vegan. Go ahead and order a pepperoni pizza with extra cheese if that’s what you want.
- What if the Beasts of Revelation are named like, Bob, Earl, Claude, and Noodle? I don’t think I’d be very scared of them anymore.
- It’s OK if you didn’t study your Sabbath School lesson. I didn’t either. Sometimes there’s some really weird stuff in there.
- Dear brother, let us instead concern ourselves with the real, present threats of Christian nationalism, antisemitism, racism, sexism, and homophobia that have infected our Church for far too long. The Adventist Church has become the persecutor we have warned against.
- I like Catholics, actually. The pope seems cool. Good values, nice hat. What’s not to love?
- One time while attending an evangelical series in Brazil, I accidentally drank an espresso (I thought it was hot chocolate) and I didn’t sleep for an entire week. I’ve been chasing that high ever since.
- I’m sorry for the racist things I’ve said about music from other cultures. I live in constant fear that the rhythm is going to get me.
- Spoiler alert: I love the gays ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜
The account has existed here since 2019. With the new Twitter owner Elon Musk, came controversial changes in Twitter rules: by paying $8 a user can become the “verified” account without a rigorous authorization procedure. This appears to be the case with this parody Ted Wilson account.
The parody account has become a topic of conversation among Adventists on social media—some puzzled by it, some resenting it, a few enjoying and sharing the occasionally hilarious opinions expressed by the fake Ted Wilson, aka Wed Tilson.
With the chaos introduced by the Elon Musk takeover, it remains to be seen what can be done to protect users from fake Twitter accounts.
To comment or discuss, click/tap here.