26 October 2015 @ 6:40 am

Harry,

Like you, I have been challenged by the words of Jesus at the Last Supper and to His disciples in Gesthemane. Because He knows what is coming they are his most content-intensive and emotional words to His closest followers. Yet we pick and choose parts of what He said and apply them in ways He never meant for them to be used. To be specific, five different times in those chapters Jesus commanded His followers to love one another and to continue the ministry of miracles and acts of love that He had been doing. He gives them great and amazing promises about how they will be empowered and the reward that He is going to prepare for them in Heaven. Five different times He gives them specific commands about how they are to be ministering His love and He uses variants on the word “commandment.” Yet we take His statement “If you love me, keep my commandments” in John 14:15 and apply it to the Decalogue instead of the specific commands about ministry that He was giving to those sitting around the table with Him.

Jesus made it clear that we can be united in Him ONLY if we are ministering His great love in the ways He commanded. That unity cannot happen so long as we are focused on arguing about doctrines and prophecies instead of being supremely focused on Him.

2. Gout Gout
    26 October 2015 @ 10:13 am

This message should be preached to the GC Leadership. It seems that the leadership is much interested in positions rather than the unity of the members. I wondered when I saw how the Leaders were moving to and fro in Africa and other areas of the world looking and paving their ways of returning in leadership. In their innermost, they know that if the energy they put in their being reelected/sessions would be invested in the Unity of the church and prayers, the church would not be splitting. The Leaders should know that the church is not lead by politics rather they should walk on their knees, praying without ceasing for the church. We are in the last days, how can the church have unit when the GC Leadership is dividing Unions to get enough members who are to give them more voices in the sessions. If they restructure the Unions as they did in Kenya and Tanzania with intention of having more representatives who are willing to support them in their personal affaires, then the devil will also use that tool to even subdivise the church because the motive of the leaders in restructuring the Unions was not for spiritual purpose rather it was to satisfy their own desires.
    Jesus would spend the whole day teaching, healing and praying and again he would spend the whole night praying!As long as there is no Unity in Church Leadership, there will never be Unity in the members.j

3. Gout Gout
    26 October 2015 @ 10:34 am

Jesus could mingle with the people and know their problems, but the leaders do not know the members’ problems; normally the Unity is supported by knowing what the members think and then the messages they preach should be in line with those problems. It was only last week that the GC President opened his facebook! Again when you write to him, he will say that he cannot respond because your letter or message has not passed through Fields, Unions and Divisions (I think even this name of Division should be changed). If Jesus in heaven can respond to his people on earth why a human being should not respond to a message of a church member whom he pretends to be leading? There is no communication of one way, if the leaders have many things to do, they should have people in their offices to attend to the concerns of the believers at all levels because some Division, Union and Field Leaders are also concerned with their daily worries and they are not doing the right things down here to cater for the members. So when the ship will see that no one cares, then they will go astray and subdivide. So we should not delay in theology theories, it is high time that we go into practice-what works- as Jesus was doing.

4. Gout Gout
    26 October 2015 @ 10:51 am

The day before yesterday I saw a posted message on General Conference Website indicating that one of the GC Top Leaders is connected with the lineage of Mrs.White and I was wondering how this message which has come in the middle of the wave of disunity in SDA Churhc would address this problem. We respect very much the work which was done by Mrs.White, but having connection with her does not mean that one will do what he wants in church. According to me, this message was alerting the North American Division that they should not say anything about the discrimination of women because the top leadership is connected to the founders! We should stop all types of discrimination wherever they might be coming from. Discrimination is discrimination and women have been called as we were called all of them are children of God.

• William Abbott
      26 October 2015 @ 11:22 am

Isn’t Jesus Christ thanking His Holy Father for His discrimination? The Father has given Him these disciples. The Disciples did not choose Him. As you say, “discrimination is discrimination” Jesus and His Holy Father discriminate. Everyone doesn’t get chosen. Jesus Christ explicitly excludes, “the world” in his prayer. I pray not for the world. If discrimination is discrimination then the texts in John Harry Banks is speaking to make God out to be the arch-discriminator.

• William Abbott
      26 October 2015 @ 11:23 am

• EM
      30 October 2015 @ 5:03 pm

I don’t know the context of where this genetic connection was used. But my first thought was it was an interesting fact being shared and meant nothing other than that. Maybe we should ask ourselves if we are looking for remarks to criticize and see the worst in an innocent comment.
      As Dr. Neis, my SS teacher, once said, remember God loves authoritarian old GC leaders too. We expect more of them than ourselves, and they make many mistakes including at the last GC session. But most sincerely believe in what they do and need the benefit of the doubt and much prayer.

5. Gout Gout
    26 October 2015 @ 12:30 pm

God does never do any discrimination because on verse 20 Jesus says “I pray not only for them, but also for those who believe in me because of their message”; more to this, we should not equalize ourselves with God. If at all Jesus has ever done any discrimination and I know he can never do it, but I am saying that if ever there is a text we have ever misunderstood to be a discrimination, we should not question God. We, we are the pots into his hands and we cannot ask Him how and why he made us the way we are.God wants every one in the whole world to be saved.

6. Gout Gout
    26 October 2015 @ 12:30 pm

God does never do any discrimination because on verse 20 Jesus says “I pray not only for them, but also for those who believe in me because of their message”; more to this, we should not equalize ourselves with God. If at all Jesus has ever done any discrimination and I know he can never do it, but I am saying that if ever there is a text we have ever misunderstood to be a discrimination, we should not question God. We, we are the pots into his hands and we cannot ask Him how and why he made us the way we are.God wants every one in the whole world to be saved and he does not fight for power.

7. earl calahan
    26 October 2015 @ 12:43 pm

When Jesus uttered these prayers He was aware He was the WORD of GOD. That HE was GOD. I and my Father are ONE. When I go, I will send you a COMFORTER, the HOLY SPIRIT of GOD, he will guide you in knowledge, understanding, wisdom, and TRUTH. HE will not speak of Himself, but will reveal the FATHER of LOVE. You are my disciples, I would that you be as one, as I and my FATHER are ONE. That you be ONE, with I and My FATHER.
    The epoxy that adheres the FATHER, SON, HOLY SPIRIT, DISCIPLES,
    as ONE, is the PERFECTION of GODLY LOVE. On Earth, we individually have PERFECT LOVE for each other, and when resurrected, we will be ONE with the GODHEAD. We will be Gods, with all responsibilities, with the HOLY FATHER, JESUS the CHRIST, the HOLY SPIRIT. Those of whom you have spoken as the discriminates, are those who by choice, have “OPTED OUT” of God’s grace, by grieving the HOLY SPIRIT of GOD.

8. Daniel
    26 October 2015 @ 1:46 pm

Harry,

You wrote: “Judging from some of the comments I see, it seems that some assume that human beings are in charge of unity… some assume a military form of governance is appropriate… I see little mention of the kingdom of God that Christ suggests as a vine,”

The reason why you see little mention of the Kingdom of God is because too many are setting up a kingdom which does not include Christ and has nothing to do with His Kingdom. They desire to be “kings and priests” of a kingdom ruling over their subjects as they sit on their thrones (comfortable office chairs, financed by tithes, etc) writing magazine articles to convince the gullible congregation they are their “leaders”.

Harry, Christ has nothing to do with organizations called “churches”; and these churches are not His Body. And yes, He does not need the body, at least not the one people see or think is His Body.

I find your articles inspiring, leading others to reflect on spiritual matters and our relationship with Christ and God the Father. Keep up the good work.

• kLutz
      27 October 2015 @ 5:07 am

“They desire to be “kings and priests” of a kingdom ruling over their subjects as they sit on their thrones … writing magazine articles to convince the gullible congregation they are their “leaders”.”

“Come out of her My people, that you be not partakers in her sins!”

Trust God.

• Daniel
        27 October 2015 @ 12:10 pm

Hi KLutz,

Question: How do you get [italics] to work on this site?

9. kLutz
    30 October 2015 @ 8:46 pm

html: “” (w/o quotation marks) turns them on. “” (w/o quotation marks) turns them off. It works with a “b” for bold, “strike” for stricken characters, etc.

• kLutz
      30 October 2015 @ 10:21 pm

what was between those quotation marks: … OMIT underscores!