ATSS: Tom de Bruin, “Satan and the Forces of Chaos”
27 July 2022 | by Tom de Bruin
Why do we get ill? Why do we die? Why are there earthquakes, floods, and pandemics? Adventists are often quick to answer: because of sin, Satan, and the fall.
The Fundamental belief explains it all: “Human sin resulted in the distortion of the image of God in humanity, the disordering of the created world, and its eventual devastation at the time of the worldwide flood.” Yet this answer doesn’t match the nuance of the biblical narrative.
A careful reader of the Bible and Revelation will notice a different narrative, just under the surface. A different side to the opponent—and to God!—where it’s not so easy to blame the devil, and God might have some things to answer for.
Join us for an exploration of chaos and order, of the original creation and the new one. But, most importantly, an examination of the devil in the Bible and theology.
Tom de Bruin received his PhD in biblical studies from Leiden University in 2014. His thesis was entitled “The Great Controversy, a study of the forces of darkness in early Christianity.” De Bruin lectured in New Testament at Newbold College for several years, as well as serving the church as pastor, church administrator, church planter, and youth director.
Read more about him here: tomdebruin.com/about-tom-de-bruin/
How to join:
One-click link: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/86570412008
Passcode: He once called this disciple “Satan”—and told him to “get behind me.” FIVE CHARACTERS, ALL CAPS.
ATSS starting time depends on where you are. If you’re on the west coast of the United States, it’ll be 10:30 AM. On the east coast, 1:30 PM.
Times around the world:
- Reykjavík: 5:30 PM
- College Place: 10:30 AM
- Lincoln: 12:30 PM
- Denver: 11:30 AM
- Bracknell: 6:30 PM
- Loma Linda: 10:30 AM
- Nairobi: 8:30 PM
- Gackle: 12:30 PM
- Hosur: 11:00 PM
- Waco: 12:30 PM
- Keene: 12:30 PM
- Kaarina: 8:30 PM
- Stockholm: 7:30 PM
- Möckern: 7:30 PM
- Cape Town: 7:30 PM
- Madrid: 7:30 PM
- Paris: 7:30 PM
- Honolulu: 7:30 AM
- Cooranbong: 3:30 AM (Sunday)
- Perth: 1:30 AM (Sunday)
- Manila: 1:30 AM (Sunday)
- Tokyo: 2:30 AM (Sunday)
- Auckland: 5:30 AM (Sunday)
The class is intended to last about 2 hours, though the conversation often continues to 4 PM (Eastern time).
About our class:
- The AT Sabbath Seminar is intended to be a courteous forum. We discuss and ask questions politely. We don’t accuse, get angry, or put people down.
- Stick to the topic in both comments and chat discussion.
- Make your comments and questions short—don’t dominate.
- Keep your microphones muted unless you are called upon to make your comment or ask your question.
- Indicate your interest in speaking by raising your electronic hand—under the “reactions” button.
- Please use your name when you sign in! Not your phone number, not your initials. This will help us differentiate you from unwelcome guests who want to disrupt us. You can set your name after signing on by clicking on the 3 dots next to your picture, which drops down a menu.
- If it should happen that we are attacked so that we have to stop the meeting, we’ll quickly post a new meeting link on our AT Facebook page.
We look forward to getting acquainted with you!
- Lisa Clark Diller
- Jim Walters
- Gil Valentine
- Gerald Winslow
- Jon Paulien
- Sigve Tonstad
- Nicholas Zork
To comment or question, click/tap here