11 October 2023 |
In this class we will compare the Bible’s model of creation (nature with natural law, family, and Sabbath) with the model of ancient Mesopotamia (economics, kingship, contractual relationships and law.)
Since these contrasting models have affected our world since the beginning of ancient civilization, we will use them to examine ethics with respect to the value we place upon human beings.
Jean Sheldon is Professor Emerita and Adjunct Professor at Pacific Union College. She holds a joint Ph.D. in ancient Near Eastern religions from the University of California, Berkeley, with the Graduate Theological Union. Her greatest interests lie in comparative method between Babylonian texts and the Hebrew Bible, and in biblical hermeneutics.
Loren Seibold is the Executive Editor of Adventist Today.
How to join:
One-click link: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/83275205567
ATSS starting time depends on where you are. If you’re on the west coast of the United States, it’ll be 10:30 AM. On the east coast, 1:30 PM. Times in Europe, Africa and elsewhere will vary with local time changes. Please double-check the correct time where you live.
The class is intended to last about 2 hours, though the conversation often continues to 4 PM (Eastern time).
About our class:
- The AT Sabbath Seminar is intended to be a courteous forum. We discuss and ask questions politely. We don’t accuse, get angry, put people down, or judge the state of their salvation.
- Stick to the topic in both comments and chat discussion.
- Make your comments and questions short—don’t dominate.
- Keep your microphones muted unless you are called upon to make your comment or ask your question.
- Indicate your interest in speaking by raising your electronic hand—under the “reactions” button.
- Please use your name when you sign in! Not your phone number, not your initials. This will help us differentiate you from unwelcome guests who want to disrupt us. You can set your name after signing on by clicking on the 3 dots next to your picture, which drops down a menu.
We look forward to getting acquainted with you!
- Tom deBruin
- Pilira Zapita (Newbold)
- Olive Hemmings (WAU)
- Tihomir Lazic